I’m a full-stack software engineer with twelve years’ experience working on consumer-facing applications, primarily on the web. I’ve built software to scale in traffic, data size, and product complexity. I’m most effective as a technical lead, splitting my time between writing code to tackle challenging technical problems, and supporting my colleagues in doing the same.
Right now I’m working with React, Redux, Rails, PostgreSQL, Redis, AngularJS, Docker, and Algolia. In the past, I’ve also worked with ElasticSearch, Cassandra, Riak, Erlang, MongoDB, jQuery, MySQL, Solr, Java, and PHP.
Engineering Lead, Engineering Manager
- Designed and implemented the annotation highlight anchoring algorithm for the Genius Web Annotator, clearing the major technical hurdle for Genius’s core vision of annotation across the web.
- Took over full responsibility for Genius’s programmatic revenue stream for the year 2017, overhauling demand integrations and creating a system for detailed analysis of programmatic performance, resulting in total programmatic revenue for that year double our initial projections.
- Identified need for student-focused code editing environment while volunteering for Code Nation; built CodePen-like environment from the ground up in React and Redux.
- Popcode is now the official editing environment for Code Nation’s first-year curriculum, used by over a thousand students every day of class. It’s also an open-source project with over 30 contributors and active development ongoing.
- After original PostgreSQL/MongoDB data storage solution proved unable to accommodate our data sets, migrated to Cassandra and Riak, clearing major scaling hurdle for launch of the product.
- Re-implemented core identity merge calculation as a Riak MapReduce, reducing account creation time by an order of magnitude.